Monday, October 17, 2016

Unsuccessful Inventions

This week I'm going to be writing about innovations that I personally think are bad ideas. This is the type of stuff that I can't see ever succeeding in the market.

First there is the Anti-Slouch Screen that I picked up from that website I visited last week. It's a computer monitor that corrects you when you start to slouch and it will continue to annoy you until you correct your posture. It will also tell you when you need to stand up and take a break. Unless you are a chiropractor, I can't see anybody wanting a computer to tell them to straighten up while they are trying to get something done.

As for that idea on terrifying playgrounds that I mentioned last week. Although it may be psychologically correct and scary playgrounds could benefit kids in the future, I can't see too many parents allowing their kids to play on such things. As a rule parents just want their children to be safe and I think only a few parents would ever invest money to help build the playgrounds.

Now I will admit that this next one sounds awesome but I still think it's a bad idea. Not necessarily because I don't think it will succeed in the market but because I think it will cause a lot of problems. Similar to the whole debate about drones spying on people, I think that these bugs will cause even worse problems. This innovation, called the Cyberbug Drone, is based around ingraining a micro-system into an insect which gives you control over it's actions and the ability to spy on basically whatever you want. As cool as it is, this would cause a great conflict between government privacy, not to mention that it could contradict the Third Amendment in the Constitution (A right to have privacy in your house). The internet already gives your local creeps a powerful weapon, lets not give them any more.

Sometimes the inventions that seem to be for the greater good can backfire and become dangerous. A crop dusting plane for example, originally used to fertilize crops but later used to drop harmful poisons in the Vietnam War. Just something to think about folks. Be careful with what you create.

No comments:

Post a Comment